With the help of RubyCom SAP SI is now able to cover a broad spectrum of different topics with various company speakers.
Media and communications training for all Division Heads
SAP SI AG began operating in April 1997 as SAP Systems Integration GmbH. The company floated after just three years. Just one year later it was included in the Nemax 50. Its expansion was more than just international, with the result that direct communication with the media became an increasingly important part of efforts to promote its image and to inform public opinion. On top of this, the number of enquiries from the media was growing con‐ stantly. In order to ensure that the right person was available to comment on each issue and to avoid a short‐ age of trained speakers, SAP SI AG sought out a skilled and professional partner to whom it could entrust the job of preparing members of the executive board and heads of division for interviews, helping them to build up their range of communication skills and thus deal in the best possible way with many different interview situations.
- To communicate with those outside the company in a professional and consistent manner
- To prepare a number of speakers with the skills to represent the company in their own area of expertise
- To ensure that all communication reflects the company’s mission statement
- To help SAP SI acquire a reputation for professionalism in its contacts with the me‐ dia
- To set up ongoing workshops based on the company’s activities and to continuously build up individual skill sets
As a first step, RubyCom provided training for several members of the executive board in a series of one‐day courses. These covered:
- What is the role of public relations and what is the value of interviews as a means of corporate communication? How do journalists work?
- Review of the German‐speaking media, distinction between trade and financial media
- Introduction to different interview styles: question and answer and story interviews
- Interview structure, ingredients of a good story
- Tips and tricks for your visit to the publisher / broadcaster and for telephone and TV interviews.
- Creating the right atmosphere for the interview
- Question techniques
- Representation systems and their impor‐ tance in establishing smooth and clear communications
- Metaprogrammes – the key to ensuring motivation and information intake
- Preparing for a specific interview
- Extending your range of communication skills
- Interviews on camera with subsequent feedback
Heads of division were trained as a group in a number of sessions to improve the breadth and depth of their communication skills. This involved developing the techniques of pacing and leading and practical application of the metaprogrammes.
SAP SI AG now has a number of designated media contacts with the skills to cover the entire spectrum of issues requiring comment. This means the company has a well‐prepared speaker for each specialist area and can avoid future shortages. By putting across a uniform message in combination with specialised content, the company can respond to the needs of different media and ensure that it presents a uniform image outside the organisation.
Read the full story here.